Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Chapter 2 - Martinete

Gosh... I realized that this is gonna be much harder than I thought. How do you write about love, dreams, joy and loss in a short text? The losses in my life are way too many so writing these stories is hard but I wanna share them. For even though all the losses have been heavy it’s all worth it. For they tell you about friendship. I wanna use a quote I truly love. "Grief is the last act of love we have to give to those we loved. Where there is deep grief, there was great love.” And great love it was indeed.
Martinete was my first horse. A crossbreed from Spain. He was trained in Doma Vaquera and was used in the fields with cattle before he moved to me in Sweden. When Martinete came here he was a very energetic and stubborn little horse. He did not make my first experience of owning a horse easy but gosh did we learn and boy did we have fun! Martinete loved to play, just as I did. We mostly played knights and put on shows for the rest of the stable with our own private tournaments and when that wasn’t enough we went out on Medieval fairs together and even paraded in front of a wedding. People who met him never forgot him, many years after his passing I still met people at Medieval fairs asking about him and remembering him. There are so much to tell yet no words can ever explain that first horse. All the emotions, lessons and love beyond belief. I never cry for Martinete - every time I think of him nothing but a big smile comes across my face and I almost feel butterflies in my heart. He was so loved and he gave his all - even his life. Every day being a gift, a new chance to play. And it was when his desire to play disappeared that I knew something had changed.
Martinete and my time together was short, way to short. He became very ill from cancer only 2 years after I purchased him, being more aggressive, unreliable and the spark in his eyes began to fade - the test showed that it was very aggressive and had spread through his entire body. From the first signs of his disease until he took his last breath in my arms was just a few months... if not weeks. I can’t really remember. I lost my best friend and everything in that moment is still a little hazy. But I remember him. Alive and happy. Full of joy, full of play and full of love - and with those memories he never really died.


No comments:

Post a Comment